Back to Volume
Paper: The Neutral ISM in Luminous Compact Blue Galaxies
Volume: 323, Star Formation in the Interstellar Medium: In Honor of David Hollenbach, Chris McKee, and Frank Shu
Page: 57
Authors: Williams, J.P.; Garland, C.A.
Abstract: Luminous Compact Blue Galaxies are a class of rapidly evolving galaxies that are common at z ∼1 but rare at z ∼ 0. Through HI and CO observations of a locally defined sample, we have determined dynamical masses and gas depletion timescales and constrained evolutionary scenarios. We find that ∼ 80% are likely to fade into dwarf ellipticals but the remaining 20% may be the precursors to low mass spirals or Magellanic irregulars. Star formation rates scale with the 1.4th power of total gas column density and follows the Schmidt law prescription of Kennicutt (1998). The star formation rate is also proportional to the molecular-to-atomic mass ratio. CO line ratios indicate abundant warm, dense gas and is consistent with the entire molecular ISM actively forming stars.
Back to Volume