Back to Volume
Paper: The Spitzer IRS View of Stellar Populations in Virgo Early-type Galaxies
Volume: 381, The Second Annual Spitzer Science Center Conference: Infrared Diagnostics of Galaxy Evolution
Page: 12
Authors: Bressan, A.; Panuzzo, P.; Buson, L.; Clemens, M.; Granato, G.L.; Rampazzo, R.; Silva, L.; Valdes, J.R.; Vega, O.; Danese, L.
Abstract: We have obtained high S/N Spitzer IRS spectra of 17 Virgo earlytype galaxies that lie on the color-magnitude relation of passively evolving galaxies in the cluster. To flux calibrate these extended sources we have devised a new procedure that allows us to obtain the intrinsic spectral energy distribution and to disentangle resolved and unresolved emission within the same object. Thirteen objects of the sample (76%) show a pronounced broad silicate feature (above 10μm) which is spatially extended and likely of stellar origin, in agreement with model predictions. The other 4 objects (24%) are characterized by different levels of activity. In NGC 4486 (M87) the line emission and the broad silicate emission are evidently unresolved and, given also the typical shape of the continuum, they likely originate in the nuclear torus. NGC 4636 show emission lines superimposed to extended silicate emission (i.e. likely of stellar origin, pushing the percentage of galaxies with silicate emission to 82%). Finally NGC 4550 and NGC 4435 are characterized by PAH and line emission, arising from a central unresolved region.
Back to Volume